Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011 was an equally epic and defining year for me. I fell in love for the first time and embarked upon a romantic journey that coincided with the seasons, leaving me heartbroken in the fall. True-to-form, here I am now, in a very wintry season of life (no thanks to the unhelpful illustration provided by current Chicago weather conditions).


Where's all the snow?


A Christian relationship requires dying to self the way we are called to in relationship to Christ (Galatians 2:20) and I aimed for that practice throughout the course of my relationship. Unfortunately, by no one's fault of anyone but myself, I let a little bit too much die in the way of my identity and self-image, and so I have been left feeling a bit sub-par in terms of my worth as a human being.

I don't remember exactly when or where the idea of running a half-marathon sprung into my mind, but I was set on the idea almost immediately. Amidst the slow healing process ,with the help of friends, my small group, prayer, and scripture reading, this pursuit seemed like a very tangible solution to move forward. It would be a physical challenge unlike any I've experienced before, necessitate a very structured, disciplined plan to follow, be a chance to improve my confidence and body image, and give me a good excuse to do more of something else I love in life--eat (heh heh). Moreover, my work outs (already a very regimented occurrence) are a time to detox mentally and emotionally, and reflect with a lot of clarity while the blood is flowing nice and strong to my brain. Not to mention the chance for some valuable prayer time and conversation with God. Prolonged runs several times a week would be a great way to continue this practice consistently.

There was no reason not to move forward with this life-changing resolution. I had the gym membership with access to a nice indoor track for the winter months; I had personal connections with previous marathon runners for training trips and schedules, and I had the motivation. Still, there was one thing standing in my way.

These...




Due to injuries, genetics, previous weight problems, and typical wear and tear, I can't remember the last time my knees didn't hurt when I ran. Now that I've hit my ripe, old, mid-twenties, it's become pretty pervasive. No matter the running surface the raw, grinding pain in the middle of my knee caps always kicks in after the first mile. It's been quite the frustration in my work outs when, barely winded and feeling ready to go the distance, my knees are always the ones to call it quits after mile two.

Before I even resolved to run a half-marathon, I had talked with other friends about the very possible culprit to my woes: the shoes.

I've been a big fan of Nike Shox for the past several years. I was first lured in by the concept of shock absorption technology for your run. That and, more importantly, the fact they just look really cool, have made them my work-out shoe of choice.


Tell me these things aren't cool lookin'!


Unfortunately, I learned the cold-hard reality about my beloved shoes, to the tune of "What?! You run in those things?! Are you NUTS?!" Apparently, the secret to my demise was the fact I was attempting to run in something about as supportive and efficient as wooden clogs. It was time to face facts: super-cool was going to have to lose out to super-effective if I wanted to continue my dream of running 13.1 miles straight.

That's where The Runner's Edge comes in. I'd known for years that the key to a good running shoe was getting professionally evaluated in a specialty store, and I decided to take the recommendation of a friend who'd been recently fitted at this Libertyville site.

I figured the guy helping me would just have me jump on a treadmill and watch me jog a few feet before slapping some ugly--but comfortable-- Saucony's on me, but the process ended up being much more intricate. The employee meticulously studied my stance as I stood on two feet, then one foot, then the other. By the time he had watched me walk across the store, he had his head in his hands, shouting "Challenge accepted!" Not comprehending what he could have possibly intuited from these simple movements, I was beginning to wonder if this was all a gimmick. That was until, without learning anything about me, he asked if I had injured my right leg before. The fall on my knee ice skating and severely sprained ankle in grade school (both of which he knew nothing about) had done some lasting damage which caused my right foot to slap and pronate (turn in) while running.

So, after watching me run up and down a side street in Libertyville several times with several different shoes, my personal expert and I decided on these bad boys.


Asics Gel-Evolution Motion Control
The best part--they're still pretty cool looking!

So, it's official: I'm a runner, a runner with a dead-serious goal of achieving a half-marathon by the Summer of 2012. I've been scoping out some options in the May-June time frame around Chicago and it's only a matter of time before I commit with the credit card. In the meantime, I invite you on the journey with me--a journey against the physical odds, and more importantly: a journey for the soul.

Isa 40:31 (NIV) But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more about the journey short stack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, Megan............I am OH!!!!!!!!!!!!, so proud of you, for SO many reasons! Run, girl, run! :-)

    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies, for all the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running a half-marathon is an incredible goal -- one that I have no doubt that you will accomplish. You are one of the strongest (emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually) people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, thanks Car. That means a lot.

    ReplyDelete