Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Starting Line

After a Christmas weekend of stuffing my face with inordinate amounts of food, and way too much free time to wallow in self-pity about the state of things, I was more than ready to take my Asics on their maiden voyage at the Mundelein Rec Center track.

For the first time in about 10 years I made a point of stretching out my legs before the run. Like flossing, I've always found it to be an admittedly beneficial, but time-wasting endeavor; but, as Mr. Magical at Runner's Edge had reminded me, it was going to have to be a necessary part of my routine, if I hoped to stay on my feet and as pain-free as possible.

After the stretch, my first few laps around the track felt pretty good, save having to practically hold up my poorly-fitting athletic pants to keep them from falling off.

The issue resolved itself after several minutes, though, when my sweat helped to affix them to my body. (You are welcome for all the yummy mental images!)







After only the first seven or eight minutes, it was clear that I had stumbled upon a wonderful new discovery: REAL RUNNING SHOES THAT ALLOWED ME TO RUN!

Talk about true shock absorption: my Asics actually enabled me to move without feeling each and every one of the bones in my legs clanking together at the joints. This was a good start.

By the end of mile 1 (13 laps around the track), the endorphins were definitely releasing, and I felt myself breaking free from my self-defeating thoughts of the day. Not only were the shoes doing the job, but the day's music selection on my Zoom was proving a good one.

It's taken me a long time to convince myself to like contemporary Christian music. I never thought I'd be working out and rocking out to it. I had these songs on repeat once I got into the "runner's zone", and they worked wonders.



I ran the first 30 minutes easily, passing my typical breaking point without much effort. I felt so unencumbered and such a connection with the music that at one point I was on the verge of tears. Yes, crying while running--a tad melodramatic and awkward, perhaps. But, I couldn't help it; it was such a release!

Caught up in the moment, I lost track of time and certainly the number of laps I had run (Try keeping track of laps once you hit upwards of twenty! Not easy). I estimate it was somewhere around 45 minutes and 3.5 miles, though, when I called it quits--not because of knee pain, but simply tightening in my thighs from running a distance I wasn't used to. Maiden voyage: a success!

Waking up feeling great the next morning, I was uber excited to really put the New Shoes and myself to the test. Returning to the track, I set an impromptu goal of five miles, or 65 laps, in under an hour. I started out the first couple of miles feeling absolutely fantastic, full of nothing but positive self-talk. Five miles was going to be a cinch, so training for 13.1 would be a cakewalk.

Ehhh, not so fast. Just after mile 3, I hit a bump in the road.

Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Duh duh duuunnnn. When this guy gets aggravated (usually in my cursed right leg) during runs, I feel the pain along its entire length, from knee to hip. Usually it happens after running continuously on uneven surfaces outside, and it's gotten so bad in the past I can barely walk when it tightens up. I was forced around 3.5 miles, and then 4.5 miles to stop and stretch my leg, and thankfully that was enough to get me the rest of the way.

So, it was, about 50 minutes after I had began, I was victorious in meeting my very first running goal. It definitely wasn't easy and was a good reality check about just what kind of endurance is required to run a half-marathon, but it was also an amazing feat for someone who hasn't been able to run nearly half that distance much in recent years.

A day out from my "Chariots of Fire"-esque run and I'm feeling it something fierce in my joints. I don't intend on shooting for 13 miles, or even 8, any time soon. With all the time I've got before the "big day", I plan on building up very gradually so as not to burn out. "Slow and steady wins the race" isn't so apropos in this case, but you get the gist.

So, the dream is still alive, and onward I go!

Phil. 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
ep.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment