Monday, July 9, 2012

Week 8

Week: 8
Total Miles Run: 15 (4 miles, 4 miles, 7 miles)

Surprisingly, on a training week that required 5 less miles than the previous, I found out about going past my physical limits.

A little change in schedule and extra work out opportunity had me working out 7 days in a row with no rest day as the training guide calls for.  In between my second 4 mile run and 7 mile run, I took up a friend on the opportunity to join a one-time Body Attack class for free. I haven't done high-interval training in awhile and I love the sweet pain I feel afterwards in all my under-worked areas, along with some quick trim down.  How I felt DURING the class was a whole different issue...

On par with the likes of Insanity and P90x (though I've never done either of those) I certainly got more than I reckoned for and, come Sunday morning, I found some new muscles I'd never known could be exercised by way of pain whenever I so much as breathed.

But I still had my long run to work in before the training week was up. So, feeling pretty energized and about 20 degrees cooler outside, I went for my 7 mile run. The result was not so good.  I was dehydrated, super sore, and super low energy, having to actually WALK a bit, catch a drink at the Dominick's along the way, and then hobble-run the rest of the way home.

The commandment I offer, for anyone who may be inspired to follow suit: THOU SHALT TAKETH HEED OF THY REST DAYS.

You don't have to do the workouts and rests in the exact order provided, but don't do more than 4 cardio/run sequences in a row without taking a rest day.  They're not just suggestions or pats on the back for a job well done. They're necessary to let the muscles and joints recover and for energy to build up again.

I, above everyone, should be savvy about the dangers of not taking advantage of the margins offered for refreshment and recuperation. I've certainly hit walls before in other ways, and athletic training is certainly no exception.

So, taking it easy for a couple days with an even easier week of runs and training planned to help accommodate my recharging as I head towards the finish line...of the starting line. :)

Hebrews 4:9-11
There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall through following the same example of disobedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment