Monday, January 2, 2012

I Won't Have my Cake, and I Won't Eat it Either!



Besides restored structure and the chance to start contributing to society again, one of the greatest benefits of returning to normalcy is a return to proper diet.


Only a week into my new running regimen, I've noticed I'm already trimming down a tad in some areas. However, my potential for substantial weight loss is being severely counteracted right now by the fact that Christmas break gives me license to eat the daily rations of a 800 pound polar bear.


With any luck, a strict schedule once again will prevent me from filling in the big gaps of free time with food. On the other hand, the major increase in physical exertion is going to necessitate increased caloric intake. According to an article at Runner's World (see the calorie calculator at the bottom of the article) I'm burning about 127 calories per mile. Right now, running just a little over 5 miles during my work out, I'm burning over 600 calories. That's almost twice what I've been burning in my typical cross-training work outs lately, and my appetite lately is reflecting that.


Unfortunately, I've been more than making up for the burn with pizza or holiday sweets or even one too many 100 calorie packs (one of my specialities: making healthful foods turn into unhealthful foods through mass consumption). I've learned from experience and research that working out a lot can be a real challenge to the diet because it increases hunger pangs and makes you prone to just counteracting the burn with way too much food.


It will be interesting learning to balance the burn with the earn (how many calories I earn back to eat. Yeah, I just made that up. Trademark pending...heh). Counting calories again doesn't excite me. I was a slave to the Weigh Watchers lifestyle for a long time (not like it didn't work, says the girl down 70 lbs. for 5 years now) and the Body Bugg system for a few months it's a little mentally exhausting. But, I suspect if I start seeing some major changes to my body, I might find the motivation to keep on going. We shall see!


1 Corinthians 10:31: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment