Friday, January 6, 2012

The Wii never lies


My room mate got a Wii for her birthday and shortly thereafter purchased the Wii Fit Plus. I was quite excited to reap the benefits of its presence in my household. After I had about exhausted Super Mario Bros. within the first few days of Christmas break, I thought I'd make a more healthful use of my free time and hop on the Fit to change up my work out routine. Though it isn't the most challenging, I'm able to work up a sweat and have a little entertainment too (Rhythm Kung-Fu = the bomb).

I tried it out a time or two before Christmas, and then began my running the following week. The next time I got on the Wii, it signaled that my body weight had changed from the original weigh in. I gloated believeing, naturally, that I had already shed a few pounds from the long distance training. To my horror, however, when I took the body test, it said I had gained about 4 pounds within a week. I scoffed. Yes, I had had quite a bit of holiday treats in the past week, but with the amount of working out I was doing, there was nooooo way I could have allowed myself to gain that much that fast. I jabbed the power button on the Wii with great satisfaction and walked away.

Yesterday, I hopped on again and went straight to the body test. Having done several more runs and feeling really good, I knew for sure this time I had dropped some lbs. I laughed out loud when it told me I'd gained another 5 pounds since my last gaining "mishap". This was just ridiculous. I'd noticed myself starting to trim down in some areas, I had run 5.5 miles the day before, and I was feeling really strong. Clearly this machine was going haywire.

Still, I had to wonder. From what I had online, the Wii board is supposed to be pretty accurate at measuring weight. And, even if it wasn't 100% accurate, the indication of that big of a weight gain was a warning flag. I decided it was time to face the music and test myself on the home scale that's seen me through the years and generally tells me the truth.

Stepping onto the scale, I made a noise like the wind had been knocked out of me at what I saw. It was one of the highest readings I'd seen since I dropped all my weight years ago. Reality check time!

STILL, I was floating down the longest river in Egypt. I had just eaten dinner and I usually weighed myself in the morning and I was...wearing clothes? I decided there was only one way left to determine the truth. I ran and pulled out my tight fitting work pants from Express--the skinniest thing I owned. Jumping into them, I finally had to admit defeat. They barely buttoned.

Hi, I'm Megan, and I've gained a substantial handful of weight since beginning my running program.

It should be a mystifying mystery, but being the "Ms. Fix-It", I am, a few logical explanations came to mind immediately. Mostly all of them were confirmed today when I found this awesome article at Runnersworld.com. Here they are:

The good news: Like the article says, I'm gaining muscle. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it's the oldest excuse for being fat ever. But, I think I can be granted the claim on this one. I've run 25 miles in the past week and a half. My legs have become big running machines, and my hips just feel like they're--as I so eloquently put it to someone today--going POW right now! My pants are going to be a bit snugger for that.

The bad news: I'm already eating way too much. Holidays definitely have a share in the blame, but I'm also already fulfilling my fear of overeating due to increased exercise. I'm going to have to combat the hunger by packing in the protein (per the article's recommendation) and taking it easy on my favorite: the carbs.

Minor setback, but a good reminder that if I'm not going to be counting Weight Watchers points, I better be counting my trips to the kitchen.











Welcome to my life, hard-boiled eggs

Psalm 107:9 For He satisfies the longing soul and fills the hungry soul with goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment