Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rock 'n' Roll!



About 3 weeks into my "New Shoes" lifestyle and--despite deep bruising on my shin due to a freak collision between my leg and one of the meow-meow's heads (the cat is okay...unfortunately) I'm already up to six miles straight.


I'm on a pretty good trajectory seeing as I believe I've found my half-marathon of choice. The 2012 Chicago Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon. I'm told by co-workers who've run it that it's just a big party, and with all the excitement, you're quickly distracted from thoughts of the daunting distance. And let's face it, who wouldn't want to run down the middle of Lakeshore Drive and be handed a beer when you cross the finish line?




The race is on July 22nd, about 26 weeks from now. Given that the typical training program is between 15-20 weeks, it would be overkill for me to start building up to the big miles. At the same time, I don't plan on backing off the running all together. I'm liking the mental and physical satisfaction felt after a long run, and I've found a whole new dose of motivation to eat well.


With intense discipline, achieving new physical heights, and treating my body right comes the new "lease on life". I've really surmounted the sobfest of Christmas break and have emerged renewed in my personal worth, as well as cognizant of just how sweet I've got things in life. That doesn't exactly mean I've "crossed the finish line" on my race to healing my heart. My "NON-resolution"resolution for the year is remembering who I am--God's intention for me despite my obligations and importance to co-workers, friends, family, and especially romantic interests. I've forgotten a lot about that person while busy molding myself into shapes I think may please others.

I wish that journey was as tangible and formulaic as training for half marathon, but I guess it's another lesson in surrendering to what is not completely within my control.

I'm not so good at that.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?


No comments:

Post a Comment