Sunday, May 13, 2012

The [OFFICIAL] [BUT STILL METAPHORICAL] starting line

After an approximately 9 mile run yesterday, it's slightly humorous to announce that my half-marathon training is officially beginning this week.  With all the busyness and spring fever, it didn't strike me until I was driving home this week that that far off date in late May when I would actually start a regimen could actually be here.  I promptly inquired of Siri how many weeks there were until July 22nd, and she did not fail me in revealing that that today, Sunday, May 13th, is go time.

Just minutes ago, I sought out a half-marathon training schedule that I think may be appropriate.  It is for regular runners, or those running 10 or-so miles a week. (Whoa, I'm a regular runner! Weird.)  Though it is designed for 12 weeks, instead of 10, I can easily start at Week 3 since I've already been averaging a bit more than 10 miles a week.  It's a good mix of runs and cross-training and rest.  My schedule

Physically, I feel pretty confident right now.  My biggest concern is my knees and just my legs in general, that really start cramping up in the later miles.  I hate black top, but I'm going to have to get used it since that's what I'm up against (or down against, should I say) on race day.  I'm still contemplating going and getting some of those really simplistic knee braces which are just a little added support for the tendons and knee cap.  But, I'm hoping that training and some added strength conditioning will alleviate some of the pain. 

As for emotionally?  Well, I'll admit I've been pretty down on myself lately.  It's such a matter of perspective and spiritual health because there's not much to be down about.  Despite all the muscle I've built and not the best eating habits this weekend, the scale is showing a pretty favorable number all things considered.  But I'm struck tonight by how much better results I could be seeing from all this hardcore working out if I'd still be a little better to my body. 

So, to accompany my first week of official training, I have resolved to make some simple diet alterations.

1) No foods over 9 grams of sugar.  That'll limit me to flavored cheerios and granola bars in the sweets department.

2)No diet pop (wah!). This will be the toughy. I think a lot of my hang up on pop is my love for carbonation. SO, I'm going to get some carbonated water (or, should I call it gas water since I'm such a Euro-file?) as a slightly healthier alternative.

 Who knows, these couple of tweaks may shed some quick pounds this week.  Either way, it'll make me feel a little perkier for the discipline.  If even that fails to make me feel better about myself, I don't have to look far to remind myself of the Truth...

2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Let the games begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment