Monday, May 28, 2012

Week 2

Week: 2

 Total miles run: 13 (3 miles, 3 miles, 7 miles)

Weight loss:  Somewhere between -1 lbs. and + 8 lbs.  (See below)

I hate the scale.  It's become an object of obsession in times past, particularly when I dropped all my weight 5 years ago and checked myself sometimes multiple times a day.  This practice is already unhealthy, but it becomes a mind game when the scale is unreliable and registers a different number about every third time I get on it.  It's doubtful I gained 8 lbs. in a week, but then again maybe the last few readings from weeks previous have been wrong.  Anyway,  I'm trying not to sweat the numbers (because I'm doing enough sweating already) and I'm encouraged by how I'm looking and feeling after a couple weeks of watching my food intake a bit better and consistently training.

But, enough about my vanity, as that's not really the whole point of this endeavor.  My 7 miler this week felt pretty good--that is--after the fact.  It's mildly comical the range of feelings and emotions I get on those long runs usually in this order: "Man, I'm not even half way done and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass out...Man, I'm more than half way done and I'm feeling great like I could go forever!....Man, I have 100 yards to go and my legs might fall off before I get home...Man, that run was easy, I can do this again with no problem." The reality is that my body is well equipped to complete this thing, I just need to achieve that mind-over-matter hurdle.  I know it'll help on race day when I have 5,000 people running in the same direction helping me not feel so sorry for myself on mile 6 or so.

My last full week of school balancing training and a full work day,  and I'm thankful for that.  I've opted out of taking some online summer school courses, which was a total answer to prayer about being too busy and overloaded this summer.  I'm looking forward to a nice balance between staying busy (teaching summer school, taking professional development courses, training, vacationing) and getting some much needed rest.

It was a great long Memorial Day weekend of friends and family and also some good alone time as well. I'm ready for week 3!

Matthew 11:28-30

“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment